Director of Technical Operations, Brookline Interactive Group
Brookline Interactive Group (BIG) ensures a place for all Brookline residents to access media-making technology, amplify their voices and tell their stories, develop media literacy and new skills, and sustain a vibrant and transparent democracy.
BIG also manages a number of community-based storytelling and participatory media initiatives, including hosting the Public VR Lab. More information about BIG can be found at: brooklineinteractive.org
To apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume.
Director of Technical Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
This position is currently three days a week in-person, due to Covid-19 pandemic, two days week remote, with some evening work and occasional weekend hours. Full-time position with a full benefits package. Salary range is $80-95K, based on experience. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Technical Operations will oversee BIG's day-to-day facility and community media operations team, assuring that all equipment is in working order for staff and members; manage staff providing media and technology training to the public; providing technical leadership and staff development to support the organization’s overarching goals of a highly-functioning, responsive and efficient broadcast operation, a productive and committed team, and an engaged, vibrant community of media makers and members.
The Director of Technical Operations will manage technical staff, BIG’s facilities, and assist/fill-in when needed, create a positive, can-do culture of solutions-based productivity and diverse community engagement, and will coordinate activities and projects in collaboration with other members of the leadership team.
BIG's organizational culture promotes direct communication, collaboration, teamwork, positivity, can-do approaches to problem-solving, inclusive community expression and free speech, compassionate and professional customer service, and individual initiative. The Director of Technical Operations is a full time, exempt, career position with benefits, and works as a member of the senior leadership team at BIG.
Purpose of Position
Oversee, design and maintain the complex telecommunications and technical infrastructure for BIG.
- Supervises technical staff; oversees training and scheduling broadcast operations and programming two cable channels.
- Manages short and long-term infrastructure projects, working collaboratively with staff, Town departments and vendors to design, install, maintain, and provide customer service for BIG’s AV/streaming, facilities, and cablecast systems.
- Has primary responsibility for technology in the media center and its programs, including computers and video production equipment, television and digital transmission, content management, studios, cameras, computers, edit stations, etc.
- Prepares capital and operating budgets and oversees purchasing.
- Selects and supervises system integrators and consultants to integrate equipment and applications in the media center.
- Serves as BIG’s liaison with engineers and IT staff from cable and broadband providers, and works professionally with Town technical and administrative staff.
- Oversees technical support for BIG and community and commercial video productions.
- Oversees BIG’s content distribution systems, including:
- Television production studios and editing suites,
- Program scheduling and playback automation,
- HD production workflow,
- Transmission on cable television, via internet stream, social media and future platforms.
- Collaborates with BIG staff in other disciplines to develop and implement programming that includes a technical media component including recommending new technology tools to create efficiencies.
- Reporting; tracking of time and project workflows
- Clear communication of schedule, priorities, progress and completed tasks
- Tracking and reporting of time spent per task/project.
- Assesses technical services and reports on outcomes against goals.
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent in television production / broadcast engineering or related field or five or more years in a technical leadership role at broadcast/cablecast distribution facilities.
- Experience as a technical manager in an educational, technology, community media or social enterprise environment.
- Leadership skills, ability to take initiative and solve problems in a fast-paced environment, communicate immediate concerns and resolutions with team and supervisors.
- Project Management Experience: set goals, objectives, track progress and meet deadlines and budget requirements.
- Understanding of infrastructure & wiring of networks, including documentation and labeling.
- Proficiency with common media-related software applications and experience with production workflows.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Must be comfortable and available for night and weekend shifts, and react to emergency situations.
- Must be willing to use a personal vehicle for business-related travel in Brookline and Boston and possess and maintain a valid Massachusetts driver's license (or be willing to obtain one upon employment), have a safe driving record, and maintain Massachusetts minimum required automobile insurance.
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must pass a CORI check.
- Innovative Problem Solving and Critical Thinking: Identifying, analyzing problems and logically evaluating information in order to propose new ways to do business.
- Strategic Thinking & Results Oriented: Meet organizational goals that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- Professional Integrity & Valuing Diversity: Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability, as well as appreciating the benefits of varied backgrounds and cultures in the workplace.
- Inform and Involving Others: Proactively obtaining and sharing information while engaging others for input, contribution, and shared responsibility for outcomes.
- Coaching & Developing Others: Supporting others in stretching and expanding their capabilities.
- Project Management: Ensuring that projects are on-time, on-budget, and achieve their objectives.
Please note: All inquiries are confidential. BIG is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, gender identity, disability, medical condition, age, genetic information, marital status, family status, political activities or affiliation, military or veteran status.