Executive Director - Brattleboro Community Television, Brattleboro, VT
Brattleboro Community TV (BCTV), a 501(c)(3) community media center serving southern Windham County,
Vermont, is seeking applications for the position of Executive Director. The Executive Director is a highly
visible position that serves as the chief spokesperson for the organization locally, regionally, and nationally.
They will be responsible for the leadership of a dynamic, fast-paced environment and the advancement of
BCTV as an organization and brand. The ideal candidate will be an inspirational media educator as well as
an effective nonprofit administrator.
BCTV was founded in 1975 and has the distinction of being the first public access TV station established in
Vermont. The office and facilities are located in the Brattleboro Municipal Center in downtown Brattleboro
(population 12,000 with a regional population of 42,000). Brattleboro is the economic and cultural hub of
southeastern Vermont, with a vibrant arts scene and host to a wide variety of community events, from
Gallery Walk to the Harris Hill Skill Jump. BCTV’s budget (approximately $350,000 annually) includes cable
franchise fees from area subscribers, contributions, sponsorships, and production services income. There
are currently four full-time staff members (including the E.D.) and six part-time field producers.
- Mission: To promote civic engagement and transparency, and to empower community members to
share their knowledge, views, and creativity, without prejudice.
- Vision: BCTV is an indispensable connector of our community: a vital and respected source of local stories and information, and a widely-accessible resource for current media tools and technology.
- Membership: open to anyone who lives, works, attends school, or volunteers in Windham County.
BCTV’s core services include:
- Management of a community media center, offering video production equipment, studio and
editing facilities, and staff support to local producers who create programming for BCTV.
- Two public access channels (1078 & 1079) carried by Comcast in the towns of Brattleboro,
Dummerston, Guilford, Jamaica, Newfane, Putney, Townshend, and Vernon, VT.
- Coverage of 20+ local government and educational board meetings throughout southern Windham
- Livestreams of community events such as graduations, lectures, meetings, parades, and sporting
- Low-cost professional media services to non-profit organizations, education partners, and
- Online archive of local programs at brattleboro.tv, on YouTube and Internet Archive
BCTV’s Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of nonprofit management and oversight of the
technical aspects of the station.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages day-to-day operations and supervises staff.
- Serves as a spokesperson for BCTV with government and educational officials and the public
- Manages all administrative requirements of running the station, in consultation with the board of
directors, Treasurer, and professional services contracted by BCTV.
- Manages all technical aspects of running the station through their own expertise and that of staff
and professional services.
- Builds, expands, and refines all aspects of communications – from web presence to external
relations – with the goal of creating a stronger brand and raising visibility
- Negotiates contracts, leads and manages fundraising, underwriting, and sponsorship campaigns to
meet annual income goals.
- Promotes and upholds the values of community media, First Amendment rights, and enhancing
citizen participation through access to communications media.
- Reports to the Board of Directors on a monthly basis, conducts long term strategic planning, advises on relevant federal, state, and local legislation
Education and Experience Required:
- BA or BS degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience
- Track record of leadership in a non-profit or business environment
- Technical background or demonstrated experience managing technical staff to achieve goals.
Candidates with background and experience in the following areas will be highly valued:
- Community media, new media, and multi-platform distribution models
- Community leadership and advocacy
- Building partnerships and collaborations across the public and private sectors
- Nonprofit management
- Fundraising and entrepreneurial activities
- Marketing and outreach
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of community media and BCTV’s motto: be creative •
be informed • be local
- Technical skill and experience in video production, film making, and editing. While these are tasks
performed by staff, the E.D.’s understanding and expertise set the pace for the team.
- Proven success at pursuing and incorporating new revenue sources through fundraising, grant
writing, and entrepreneurial activities
- Strong communications skills, including writing, public speaking, marketing and outreach
- Demonstrated management and budgeting responsibilities
Benefits & Schedule:
- Hours: 32-40 hours per week
- Salary range: $60,000 - 72,000 (commensurate with hours, qualifications, and experience)
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Combined Time Off
- Monday-Friday, 10 am - 6 pm. Some evenings and weekends are required, and occasional travel to
regional and national conferences is expected.
- This is not a remote position.
BCTV is an equal opportunity employer.
Anticipated Employment Starting Date: December 4, 2023
Please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Updated Resume/CV
- Cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and your vision for BCTV’s future
- Application Deadline: We will review applications as they are submitted. The position will remain open until a qualified candidate is hired.