NATOA Legislative Director
NATOA Legislative Director Job Description
The National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors (NATOA) is seeking a highly-motivated and well-organized person to serve as Legislative Director to assist in its public policy, advocacy, and legislative and regulatory activities. NATOA is a national trade association that supports and serves the telecommunications interests and needs of local governments. These interests include cable television franchising, right of way authority and management, broadband deployment, digital inclusion, PEG (public education government) access and wireless siting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Track and analyze federal and state legislative and regulatory initiatives and communicate that information to the Board and to membership as directed
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and NATOA Board of Directors in the development of NATOA policy positions, and advocate those policy positions in the appropriate forums
- Provide timely written analyses and summaries to the Board and relevant committees of legislative/regulatory proposals
- Participate on relevant committee calls and provide verbal progress updates
- Draft responses to proposed legislation, rule-makings and policy inquiries
- Identify and work with other organizations to a common purpose on policy issues
- Develop a wide range of materials in support of NATOA’s legislative and regulatory agenda, such as talking points, legislative summaries, factsheets, reports, and letters
- Develop legislative and regulatory strategies for advancing NATOA’s policy positions and implement these strategies by lobbying on behalf of the Association
- Communicate to various audiences through a variety of outlets, including social media
- Communicate NATOA’s position to identified federal legislative and regulatory entities
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILL SET REQUIREMENTS
- Relevant experience in telecommunications legislative and regulatory issues
- Ability to connect with a wide variety of people to articulate local government interests in communications
- Strong motivation to effect and manage change
- Communicating complex concepts through oral and written mediums
- Preparing a variety of written communications including regulatory filings
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret legislation, legal rulings, government regulations, general business periodicals, professional journals, financial reports, legal documents, and technical procedures; write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Exhibit independent judgment; willing to advocate his or her position to the Executive Director and Board, and equally willing to carry out the instructions when it conflicts with his or her recommendations
- Willingness and ability to travel
NATOA is a professional association made up of individuals and organizations responsible for - or advising those responsible for - communications policies and services in local governments throughout the country. NATOA’s mission is to support and serve the communications interests and needs of local governments by providing support to our members on the many local, state, and federal telecommunications issues impacting the interests of local governments. Founded in 1980, NATOA offers a wide range of advocacy services to individual and agency members representing cities, towns, counties and commissions across the country. NATOA actively analyzes and addresses emerging issues in areas such as local government communications and internet policy; broadband planning best practices; cable franchising; wireless zoning; new technology initiatives and advancements; and operation of public, education and government (PEG) access channels.
NATOA operates as a virtual office. All employees work remotely which provides added unique benefits for a self-starter with exceptional communication skills. This role requires high-performance and initiative on tasks and projects in a distributed team setting. Candidate can work from anywhere in the nation with the understanding that travel to the Washington DC area is a necessity with needs-based frequency along with other, regular U.S.-based travel.
Please send cover memo, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com.