Video Control Operator
The City of Las Vegas invites applications for Video Control Operator. Under general supervision, this position programs and maintains and monitors an automated video playback system to run daily television programming as scheduled on the City’s government access television station as well as streaming platforms; responsible for independently researching and acquiring television programming and public service announcements from external sources; and performs tasks related to assigned area of responsibility.
The purpose of this recruitment is to establish an eligible list for current and/ or future openings which may include part-time or full-time positions.
Receives general supervision from higher-level management staff.
Type of Examination:
A civil service examination will be conducted in accordance with the Civil Service Rules of the city of Las Vegas. The supplemental questions are the examination. Falsification of information may result in disqualification from a recruitment or removal from a City position. Additional information will not be accepted after the closing date. The supplemental questions are weighted 100% for placement on an eligible list, and must be worked on individually by the applicant only. The supplemental questions of all qualified applicants will be reviewed for placement on an eligible list.
Final candidate selection will include list placement and may include hiring interview (if applicable). Any individual offered employment will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test, complete background check, and may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform the physical requirements of the job." Some positions may require preliminary background checks.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Organizes, coordinates and schedules and monitors all programming for transmission on the City’s 24/7 government access television channel and streaming platforms. Programs and maintains an automated video playback system to run daily programming as scheduled.
- Conducts research, outreach and networking to acquire outside programming and public service announcements for transmission on the city's television channel; screens programs for appropriate content and technical quality.
- Researches and downloads satellite feeds of programming and formats the programming for the automated server.
- Formats, edits and updates public service announcement information into viewable and readable "on-air" public information; recognizes deficiencies in video and sound and make adjustments to on-air transmission signals.
- Updates the programming schedule to adjust for changes in the content and the length of programming; distributes the schedule and updates the schedule where it appears electronically.
- Creates and updates video graphic and text pages and ensures they are consistent with the City’s brand standards.
- Operates video equipment of various formats to produce dubs and edit programming in preparation for playback.
- Controls the air feed for live productions.
- Handles requests for copies of programming.
- Maintains a variety of automated and manual logs, records and files; performs a variety of record keeping, filing, indexing and other general clerical work.
- Assists with studio production of videotaping meetings and other productions.
- Monitors and maintains appropriate levels of supplies, equipment, and inventory to ensure efficient and effective operations.
- May be required to respond to equipment malfunctions during evening and weekend hours.
- Works closely with the TV engineer to make sure all equipment in Master Control is operational.
- Monitor and post programming on the TV stations streaming channels, such as YouTube, Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire TV.
- Works with our Public Affairs team to brand and market our TV station, including all our digital platforms.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Two years of experience operating and maintaining an automated video playback system and in television program scheduling, or two years of experience as a video editor, master control operator, tape operator or production control technician.
Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with major in television production, information systems or a field related to the essential functions.
A combination of formal education and directly related work experience may substitute for the degree. The city assesses 1.5 years of fulltime experience as equivalent to one year of education.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Automated video playback system operation.
- Television scheduling practices and priorities.
- Basic professional video operations, video and audio editing, television equipment operation and computer operation.
- Desktop publishing software for video graphic and text layout.
- Basic cable television practices and policies.
- Television programming rights, fees and acquisition practices.
- Principles and practices of record keeping.
- Basic cataloging techniques and practices.
- Common office software, including word processing, spreadsheets, email and calendar.
- Basic methods of research and analysis.
- Programming and operating an automated video playback system.
- Scheduling programming according to established policy.
- Operating semi-automated video systems.
- Strong computer knowledge and experience.
- Operating desktop publishing software.
- Cataloging and maintaining media files.
- Screening programming for appropriate content and quality.
- Researching and evaluating sources of television programming and public service announcements.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Plan, organize and prioritize assignments.
- Meet critical deadlines.
- Manage multiple assignments.
Core Workforce Competencies
Professionalism – Demonstrates core values by being honest, respectful and positive.
Effective Communication – Expresses verbal and written thought in a clear and understandable manner.
Customer Focus – Demonstrates genuine concern and satisfies external and/or internal customers based on the CLV core purpose and values.
Adaptability – Able to effectively modify behavior to suit changing workforce demands.
Problem Solving – Solves problems by considering all causes, solutions and outcomes.
Productive Partnerships – Develops, maintains and strengthens partnerships with others.
Technical and Safety Expertise – Possesses a depth of knowledge, skill and ability in a technical (job) area.
For complete details and to apply, click HERE